web2py is a very useful open source full-stack framework designed to provide support for agile development of secure database-driven web-based applications, that are programmable and written in Python.
The web2py package includes all you might need, including fast multi-threaded web server, SQL database and a web-based interface.
One web2py instance is able to run multiple webpages using different databases, which means that you will be able to manage, deploy, create or modify applications from anywhere using your browser.
Here are some key features of "web2py":
· Runs on Mac, Linux, Windows, Windows Mobile, and on the Google App Engine
· Requires no installation and can run off a USB drive
· Has no configuration files. You just unzip it and click on it
· Includes a multi-threaded wsgi-compliant web-server (also works with Apache and others)
· Includes a transaction-safe relational database (sqlite)
· Includes a web-based integrated development environment (demo)
· Includes a ticketing system to help you debug deployed applications
· Includes a sophisticated Database Abstraction Layer that can handle joins, left joins, nested selects, aggregates, transactions and distributed transactions. Writes SQL code for you, transparently and in real time, for SQLite, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MSSQL, FireBird, Oracle and IBM DB2 (since 1.58)
· Automatically generates a web-based database administrative interface for your applications
· Prevents the most common types of vulnerabilities: Cross Site Scripting, Injection Flaws, and Malicious File Execution
· Enforces good Software Engineer practices (Model-View-Controller design, Server-side form validation, postbacks)
· Includes internationalization support and a web based translation interface
· Includes functions for caching in ram, disk, memcache and combinations thereof
· Includes libraries for Authentication (login, logout, registration, change password, etc.)
· Includes libraries for Authorization (Role Based Access Control)
· Includes libraries to generate and process Create/Update forms directly from a database
· Includes libraries to handle HTML, ATOM, RSS, RTF, JSON, AJAX, XML-RPC, CSV, REST, WIKI
· Works with Flash/Flex via PyAMF and Google Web Toolkit via Pyjamas
· Includes jQuery for Effects and Ajax
· Includes a powerful Python-based template language to render objects into HTML or other text-based protocols
· Handles automatically upload and download streaming for large media files
· Includes portable cron mechanism for creating and running recurrent tasks in background
· Allows to bytecode-compile applications and distribute them in closed source
· Backward compatibility is guaranteed for the web2py API since 1.0
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· travis.ci integration (thanks Marc Abramowitz and Niphlod). Passes all tests (thanks Niplod).
· IS_DATE and IS_DATETIME can specify timezone