UploadColumn is a free plugin for the Ruby on Rails framework that will enable easy uploading of files, especially images.
UploadColumn is file uploading made easy for Ruby on Rails. Get rolling quickly, with powerful manipulation of uploaded files, like scaling and cropping images.
Maintain full control over where your files are stored, easily make uploads work across form redisplays, and a whole bunch more.
Here are some key features of "UploadColumn":
Really flexible storage paths:
· UploadColumn gives you full control over where your files are stored. Want to store them by the record's name? No problem! Want to store them by an associated record's name? Easy as pie! Want to store them in one giant directory bursting at the seams? Absolutely no problem!
Works across form redisplays:
· Can't get uploads and validations to play nice? No problem, because UploadColumn keeps your uploaded files even if you need to redisplay a form multiple times!
Easily create multiple versions of the same file:
· Whatever you want to do with your file, maybe it's an XML document you want to transform with XSLT (but keep the original), or maybe you just want a thumbnail for your image, often you need different versions of the same file. UploadColumn makes creating and using those versions easy. With the new manipulator framework, it's very easy to create a reusable manipulator to do the same kind of manipulations across your application.
Awesome RMagick and ImageScience integration:
· UploadColumn makes it extremely easy to create thumbnails (or other sizes) of your images, even to crop them to an exact size, so they always look their best. Now you can choose to use the fast and light ImageScience library. If you choose to use RMagick, you'll not only get thumbnails, but access to the entire library and apply any effect to images automatically after they're uploaded!
Well tested and stable:
· UploadColumn is extensively tested with the RSpec testing framework. We currently have 100% C0 coverage, all passing specs, and heckling passes without complaints.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· [NEW] Complete rewrite, maintaining most of the legacy API
· [NEW] Framework for custom manipulators, for clean and easy extension.
· [NEW] Manipulate images with ImageScience instead of RMagick if you want
· [NEW] Support for animated GIFs in the RMagick manipulator
· [NEW] Fully tested with RSpec
· [NEW] Following the law of Demeter better by adding _public_path, _thumb, _thumb_public_path etc... magic methods.
· [DEPRECATED] UploadedFile#url is deprecated in favour of UploadedFile#public_path and will be removed in the next major release
· [CHANGED] Store dir and temp dir procs now take two piped variables, the UploadedFile object and the ActiveRecord
· [CHANGED] the :root_path option is now called :root_dir
· [CHANGED] web_root must now be set with a leading slash if an absolute URL is desired and no trailing slash.
· [CHANGED] UploadedFile#filename_base is removed in favor of #basename
· [CHANGED] UploadedFile#filename_extension is removed in favor of #extension
· [CHANGED] UploadedFile#mime_type is re...