A handy and reliable utility that was developed in order to help its users render render realistic natural environments on a Mac.
Create entire worlds from your imagination, or import real world terrain datasets and use Terragen to create the most realistic visualizations possible.
You control the weather, landscape, rivers, lakes and oceans, suns, moons and stars. With Terragen you have complete control over the shader networks used for terrains, textures, micropolyon displacements, clouds and object distributions.
You can reorganize the planetary shading pipeline to suit your goals. Place grass and trees wherever you want, as well as other objects in OBJ format that you can model in third party software.
It's easy to find great plants and objects modelled by other Terragen users or elsewhere on the web.
Terragen is not a game engine; it has a sophisticated film- and broadcast-quality renderer and procedural modelling tools designed so that you can create the most realistic images possible without taking a photograph.
Nor is it a general-purpose 3D program designed to render everything. We have dedicated more than a decade to specialising in algorithms that simulate skies, outdoor lighting, terrain textures, and to render extremely large and detailed terrains.
- Hybrid micropolygon renderer optimised for large displacements and very large landscapes.
- Render entire planets, sweeping vistas, tiny rock gardens, or anything in between.
- Export high resolution objects from displaced surfaces.
- Import 3D objects for rendering.
- Render millions of plants and other objects using instancing. Billions of virtual polygons are handled with ease.
- Add multiple heightfields, textures and displacement maps to your scene.
- Georeferencing options; automatic georeferencing for properly formatted GeoTIFF files.
- Procedural terrains that can span an entire planet.
- Apply almost "infinite" fractal detail to terrain and other objects.
- Overhanging terrain using procedural displacements, image-based displacements, or imported geometry.
- 3D painting of colours and masks that can control almost anything in the scene.
- Photorealistic atmosphere and sunlight.
- Volumetric clouds or fast "2.5D" clouds.
- Global illumination, multiple scattering in volumetrics, full light interaction between volumetrics and surfaces.
- Production quality anti-aliasing and motion blur that renders quickly and efficiently.
- High dynamic range output; generate photorealistic environment maps and IBL sources.
- Node graph editor for ultimate control over shaders and textures.
- Flexible planetary shading pipeline.
- Animation of almost any parameter with the optional Animation module.
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
What's New in version 3.0.07.0
- Significant improvements to stability.
- Soft shadows now render faster in some situations (undoing a change that was made between v2.5 and the first v3.0 builds).
- Changed the way object handles/manipulators are drawn. They should no longer be obscured by other objects. Please let us know if you noticed anything unusual with the 3D Preview drawing.
- Fixed a problem with the Populator 4 where modified instances might not initially be in their correct locations.