Survex is a free and open source cave-surveying software package that is actively developing into a complete cave visualisation package.
Survex has a sophisticated GUI frontend, no arbitrary limits, and is particularly good for large complicated cave systems, or areas where you need to see the relationships between multiple cave systems. Putting existing data into it should be easy.
Detailed instructions on how to install and use the Survex utility on your Mac are available HERE.
Survex is cross-platform and it works on Mac OS X, Windows and Linux. Binaries for the Windows and Linux platforms are available on the project's homepage.
Here are some key features of "Survex":
· Translations supplied for English, French, German, Spanish, Catalan, Portuguese, Italian, Slovak, Romanian, and US English.
· Hierarchical survey station naming.
· Fast processing of survey data in a wide range of formats, aided by sophisticated network simplification techniques
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fix so that cavern finds its messages when run by aven.
· cavern: If we have a reference to a station in a non-existent survey, give a helpful error rather than saying the station hasn't been exported from thesurvey. (Bug reported by Martin Green via email)
· aven: Fix to build with a non-Unicode wxWidgets library. Patch from Olaf Kahler.
· dump3d: Add support for showing img_ERROR_INFO items.
· doc/3dformat.htm: Merge in some improvements from Mike McCombe.
· Incorporate a French translation from launchpad I'd previously copied the English version of by mistake. Attempt to correct mistranslation of "survey file".
· findentrances: Add findentrances utility from Olaf Kahler which produces a .gpx file with waypoints for entrances. This needs libproj so is disabled by default for this release - to enable it install the development stuff for libproj and build survex with: make FINDENTRANCES=findentrances and make install FINDENTRANCES=findentrances