GPU powered 2D Flash game engine
In contrast to conventional display objects, however, Starling "lives" entirely inside the Stage3D environment. That means that all objects are rendered directly by the GPU, which leads to a significant performance boost.
Starling's API is not a direct 1:1 port of the Flash API. The classes were streamlined and optimized for working well with the GPU; common tasks in game development were simplified. Starling hides the Stage3D internals from developers, but makes it easy to access them for those who need to create custom display objects.
Just like its iOS sibling, the Sparrow Framework, Starling aims to be as lightweight and easy to use as possible. As an Open Source project, much care was taken to make the source code easy to read, understand and extend.
- Free & Open Source:
- Starling does not cost a dime. Download and use it right away — no strings attached. And because it is Open Source, you're always in control: step through the code and learn from its internals. Everything is well documented and easy to understand. Drop your in-house engine and focus on your games!
- Platform independent:
- Write your code once and deploy it — everywhere! As Starling is built on top of Adobe's Flash™ technology, it runs not only in the browser, but on all major mobile platforms out there, including iOS and Android. That simplifies your development, too: debug your game comfortably in the Flash Player, then deploy it on your mobile phone.
- Amazing Performance, familiar API:
- Starling is a pure ActionScript 3 library that mimics the conventional Flash display list architecture. In contrast to conventional display objects, however, all content is rendered directly by the GPU — providing a rendering performance unlike anything before. This is made possible by Flash's "Stage3D" technology.
- Embraced by Adobe™, powered by the Community:
- Adobe supports the development of Starling and plans to integrate it tightly into its tools. You get the best of both worlds: corporate commitment and a vivid community.
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
What's New in This Release:
- added 'Sprite3D' class for simple 3D transformations
- added 3D transformation methods to DisplayObject, RenderSupport and MatrixUtil classes
- added 3D camera properties to Stage class ('fieldOfView', 'focalLength', 'projectionOffset')
- added 'is3D' property to DisplayObject class