The Sparrow iOS framework makes it possible to write fast OpenGL apps without having to touch OpenGL or pure C (but easily allowing to do so, for those who wish). Sparrow uses a tried and tested API that is both easy to use and hard to misuse.
Obviously, Sparrow is for iPhone and iPad developers, especially those involved in game development. You will need to have a basic understanding of Objective-C – but there’s no way around that on the iOS anyway.
Detailed instructions on how to use the Sparrow framework within your own iOS projects are available HERE.
Here are some key features of "Sparrow":
Pure Objective-C — No Trade-offs:
· Sparrow is a pure Objective-C library that was built from ground up for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. You can easily integrate it with your existing UIKit apps, access all iOS APIs directly (like GameCenter, iAds, Camera, ...) and benefit from native performance. Stop developing in a black box, and go for complete control!
Amazing Performance, familiar API:
· If you have already worked with Adobe Flash or Starling, you will feel right at home: Sparrow uses the same concepts and naming schemes. Even if you're coming from a different background, you'll get the hang of it quickly, because everything is designed to be as intuitive and easy to use as possible. And since all rendering is done through optimized OpenGL calls, Sparrow exposes the hardware's full potential. In other words: it's FAST!
App Store proven, Community powered:
· Sparrow already powers a plethora of games in the App Store. It is backed up by a huge community providing tutorials, extensions, and a helping hand when you're stuck. The Sparrow community is one of the most active and friendly you'll ever find.
· Apple Xcode
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· added 'readjustSize:' method to SPImage
· added 'fontName' parameter in 'registerBitmapFont' methods (thanks, tconkling!)
· added iOS 5 rotation code (thanks, Brian!)
· added support for iOS 6 in demo, scaffold, and barebone projects
· added support for fractions of SP_NATIVE_FONT_SIZE (e.g. *2, *0.5) for Bitmap Fonts
· removed override of default architecture for Xcode 4.5 compatibility (thanks, theyonibomber!)
· optimized 'containsChild:' method
· optimized matrix rotation method
· optimized 'removeChildAtIndex:' method (removed obsolete retain/release calls)
· optimized transformation matrix calculations (matrix is now cached)
· fixed leftover touches when app moves in background; existing touches are now canceled
· fixed several warnings that popped up in iOS 6 SDK
· fixed texture lookup: when 4x is requested but not available, 2x is tried before 1x
· fixed exception when bitmap text contained two (or more) line feeds
· fixed error caused by removal of sibling in REMOVED_FROM_STAGE event
· fixed letterbox cod...