SocketObjC is an open source Objective-C framework very similar to Distributed Objects, with a few major differences:
· All messages are sent asynchronously
· The underlying message passing system simply uses TCP via AsyncSocket
· Instead of exceptions, problems are simply ignored (this could easily be fixed by anyone)
· Messages with return values can handle those returned values using block callbacks, making use of what I later learned is called "Continuation Passing Style"
· Limited to passing and returning objects that conform to NSCoding
· Possible to add support for secure TCP message sending (via CFStream/CFSocket, via AsyncSocket)