An enterprise Mac OS X software deployment on App Engine
Simian offers the user a whole server, ready to run on App Engine, which Munki clients connect to.
Running on App Engine provides multiple benefits:
· Scaling to N number of clients is automatic; as your Mac fleet grows, so does App Engine.
· No deployment or management of additional infrastructure in your organization is required; App Engine is hosted entirely on Google's servers.
· Clients can connect globally using any Internet connection, without needing a VPN or corporate network changes to expose services.
Additionally, Simian offers you a dynamic, programmed server capable of adapting to clients, rather than a static server of files. Because of this:
· Simian can generate software manifests dynamically, on the fly, based on client properties.
· The administration overhead of static manifest management is removed.
· Any possible customizations to client software offerings are possible by modifying the server.
Detailed instructions on how to install and use the Simian utility on your Mac are available HERE.
- Deploy new or updated software by targeting a single Mac or tens of thousands.
- Deploy updates whether the Mac is on an internal network/VPN or not.
- Force unattended/background installation of some packages, while allowing others to be optional.
- Forcefully deploy security patches and reboot Macs after a given date, with varying levels of warning notifications.
- Tightly manage Apple Software Update catalogs and update release, or let updates auto-promote automatically.
- Dynamically target clients based on user, hostname, os version, and more.
- Obtain reports on all of this and the fleet overall.
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
What's New in This Release:
- update Munki build to 0.9.0.1803.0
- Detect if Apple Updates require a restart, and expose detection in catalog admin.
- Automatically set Apple Updates to unattended if restart is not required