When we invoke a web service, often the end goal is to take the HTTP response and transform it into value objects which will be rendered in the application. Resting can be used to achieve exactly that.
REST framework for Java can be used to invoke a RESTful web service and convert the response into custom Java objects from the client application.
Since it is very simple, REST framework for Javasimplicity is suitable for Android and other handheld devices.
Detailed instructions on how to install and use the REST framework for Java utility on your Mac are available HERE.
REST framework for Java is a cross-platform utility capable of running on any operating system that comes with Java support (e.g. Mac OS X, Windows, Linux).
Here are some key features of "REST framework for Java":
· Expose simple get(), post(), put() and delete() methods to consume REST services
· Support for all the commonly used MIME types like JSON, XML and YAML
· Enable both HTTP and HTTPS (SSL) invocation of RESTful web services
· Provide request signing
· Support for arbitrarily complex marshalling and unmarshalling of data during transformation
· Support for custom representation of collections in REST request
· Lightweight, simple and fast. Ideal for Android.