LaTeX easy development front end
In addition, LyX brings to the table the power and flexibility of TeX/LaTeX amd the ease of use of a graphical interface.
The end results have enhanced support for creation of mathematical content (via a fully integrated equation editor) and structured documents like academic articles, theses, and books.
Moreover, LyX provides staples of scientific authoring such as reference list and index creation. You can also use LyX to create a letter or a novel or a theater play or film script. A broad array of ready, well-designed document layouts are built in.
Detailed instructions on how to install and use the LyX utility on your Mac are available HERE.
LyX is cross-platform and it works on Mac OS X, Windows and Linux. Binaries for the Windows and Linux platforms are available on the project's homepage.
- Math/science features:
- Math formula editor that fully harnesses the power of LaTeX.
- Enter equations through point-and-click interface or via keyboard with LaTeX commands (optionally via auto-completion). Formulas are immediately visually rendered on screen.
- Structured document creation:
- Powerful features for labels, references, index and bibliography (including advanced BibTeX support)
- Word processor operations, such as cut/paste, multiple open documents, undo/redo, spellchecking (uses aspell or hunspell in the background), thesaurus and revision tracking
- Many graphic formats are supported (including EPS, SVG, XFig, Dia and others)
- WYSIWYG for cropping, rotation, scaling of images
- Support for writing documents in many languages of the world
- Bidi support for Right-to-Left languages such as Hebrew and Arabic
- Document formats:
- Access all LaTeX functionality with capability to insert plain LaTeX code anywhere in a document.
- Import and export to many formats (LaTeX, PDF, Postscript, DVI, ASCII, HTML, OpenDocument, RTF, MS Word, and others) thanks to configurable converters
- Usability/user interface:
- GUI that provides access to all functions via menus and mouse, as well as configurable key bindings
- Comprehensive documentation, including a beginner's tutorial, available in many languages
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
What's New in This Release:
- An emergency release for OSX only. It resolves additional problems
- that affect LyX on OSX 10.10 (Yosemite) that were not addressed by the
- 188.8.131.52 release. Only users of OSX 10.10 should upgrade to this version.
- The most important fix here is that we believe we have resolved the problem