Omeka is a content management system specially designed for people who need to host a collection of digital artifacts. Museums, libraries and schools will find this JumpBox particularly useful as it yields a comprehensive, standards-compliant set of metadata for each item.
A JumpBox packages an application's software, dependencies, and application data into a single virtual appliance that deploys locally, or hosted to major virtualization, and cloud computing platforms. Deploy on Windows, Mac, or Linux using virtualization platforms like VMware, Xen, Parallels, Virtual Iron, Microsoft Virtualization, and Amazon EC2.
Here are some key features of "JumpBox for Omeka":
- Easily skinnable: Change the look of your site with ease by installing themes.
- Extensible via plugins: Add new functionality like an exhibit wizard or a bulk uploader via the plugin system. Or write your own and contribute it to the Omeka community.
- Tiered access permissions: Assign varying levels of access to people based on what they need to see and do. Designate someone as a curator of a certain collection.
- Output formats: Make your collections discoverable and re-mixable by exposing items in JSON, RSS, XML and ATOM formats.
- An intuitive user interface to quickly guide users through deployment.
- A web-based control panel for simplified management of system functions.
- JumpBox for Omeka also provides a backup system that provides data security and portability.
- Virtualization software.
- For easiest use: a network that assigns dynamic IP addresses. (Most do)
- 3 GB Free disk space
- Minimum 1 GB System RAM (Each JumpBox you run on the same system will need 256-512MB of additional RAM)
- Minimum 1 Ghz CPU
- The JumpBox for Omeka has been updated to Omeka version 2.0.3
- Restoring from JumpBox version 1.7.3 and newer should work.
- If upgrading from a version prior to 1.7.3, upgrade first to 1.7.9 and then to 1.8.2.
- This is a general maintenance release. See the full release notes for detail: http://omeka.org/codex/Release_Notes_for_2.0.3