Grammatical Framework is a free and open-source programming language for multilingual grammar applications.
Grammatical Framework can be used for building natural-language interfaces, translation systems, multilingual web gadgets, dialogue systems and other natural language resources.
Note: Grammatical Framework is cross-platform and it works on Mac OS X, Windows and Linux.
Detailed instructions on how to install and use the Grammatical Framework utility on your Mac are available HERE.
Here are some key features of "Grammatical Framework":
· a special-purpose language for grammars, like YACC, Bison, Happy, BNFC, but not restricted to programming languages
· a functional language, like Haskell, Lisp, OCaml, Scheme, SML, but specialized to grammar writing
· a natural language processing framework, like LKB, XLE, Regulus, but based on functional programming and type theory
· a categorial grammar formalism, like ACG, CCG, but different and equipped with different tools
· a logical framework, like Agda, Coq, Isabelle, but equipped with concrete syntax in addition to logic
· Note: The Texture add-on is cross-platform and it works on Mac OS X, Windows and Linux.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
GF compiler and run-time library:
· A new partial evaluator that should provide more efficient grammar complilation, and solve problems with stack overflows and overly long compilaton times for certain grammars.
· New options for visualization of parse trees with the shell command visualize_parse.
· alltenses is now part of the default search path, eliminating the need for -path=… flags in many cases.
· Various other small improvements and bug fixes.
Resource Grammar Library:
· New languages in the Resource Grammar Library: Japanese, Chinese (complete); Maltese, Hebrew (partial). (see the updated synopsis).
· Improvements for other languages, e.g. Latvian.
· Large morphological dictionaries for German, Urdu.
· Updated web-based RGL browser (/lib/doc/browse/).
GF Cloud services:
· A Simple Translation Tool (a bilingual document editor) has been added.
· A syntax tree editor has been added.
· Some new functionality in the web-based grammar editor, e.g. preliminary support for public grammars.
· Various ot...