GDL (GNU Data Language) is a free IDL (Interactive Data Language) compatible incremental compiler (ie. runs IDL programs).
Here are some key features of "GDL":
· Full syntax compatibility with IDL 6.0
ALL IDL language elements are supported, including:
· System variables,
· Common blocks,
· Assoc variables,
· All operators,
· All datatypes,
· _EXTRA, _STRICT_EXTRA and _REF_EXTRA keywords...
· The file input output system is fully implemented (Exception: For formatted I/O the C() sub-codes are not supported yet)
· netCDF files are fully supported.
· HDF files are partially supported.
· Basic support for HDF5 files.
· Overall more than 330 library routines are implemented. For a sorted list enter HELP,/LIB at the command prompt and look for library routines written in GDL in the src/pro subdirectory.
· SAVE and RESTORE are supported through Craig Markwardt's CMSVLIB library.
· Graphical output is partially implemented. The PLOT, PLOTS, XYOUTS, SURFACE, OPLOT, TVRD and TV commands (along with WINDOW, WDELETE, SET_PLOT, WSET, TVLCT) work (important keywords, some !P system variable tags and multi-plots are supported) for X windows, z-buffer and postscript output.
· GDL has an interface to python (python routines can be called from GDL).
· GDL can be build as a pyhton module (GDL subroutines can be called from python).
· No GUI support (widgets) is implemented so far.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· activities on speed improvements continuing
· Initial import of STRMATCH()
· Initial import of USERSYM
· SCOPE_VARFETCH (only LEVEL keyword supported)
· keyword /NaN for HISTOGRAM
· Initial import of LUDC, LUSOL and DETERM, OK now only for DOUBLE
· Initial import of ROT, CONGRID and BILINEAR
· Initial import of TV for PS output
· fix in RANDOMN/RANDOMU (Binomial OK, conflicting keywords detected ...)
· Initial import for QROMB(), QSIMP() (based on QROMB) and QROMO()
· Initial import for TRISOL()
· fix in ERASE for background color (preparing Coyote lib. support)
· Initial import of STANDARDIZE and HIST_EQUAL
· improvment in MAGICK related codes, especially MAGICK_PING (pb with ImageMagick (IM) in Ubuntu 12.04; GraphicsMagick can also be used instead of IM)
· FZ_ROOTS: initial import (same way than IMSL_ZEROPOLY using gsl_poly_complex_solve(), only real coefs. for input poly)
· FX_ROOT: initial import. in c++
· keyword DIM in MOMENT(), MEAN(), STDDEV(), VARIANCE(), SKEWNESS(), KURTOSIS() (requested DIM and other imp...