CallHelix is an AppleScript Scripting Addition (aka OSAX) that enables you to manipulate data in Helix databases using AppleScript. Data can be added, retrieved, and deleted with ease. Data integrity and security is guaranteed, as CallHelix uses the Users & Views in a collection to control access.
No special programming within Helix is required, but programming with CallHelix in mind can allow you to create some very powerful solutions that would not otherwise be possible.
CallHelix is also offered as a faceless background application (FBA) for the people who prefer more direct access to the Apple Event mechanism.
Here are some key features of "CallHelix":
· PowerPC native code: Typical scripts run 30% faster, some run even faster.
· OS X native code: Write and run scripts in Classic Mac OS or Mac OS X.
· Faceless background application option: Makes casual use and remote machine access much easier.
· Python Support: Tap into Helix collections using the power of Python.
· New commands: Significantly streamline script writing, in some cases reducing dozens of lines to just one line.
· New syntax: English language commands make scripts faster to write and significantly more readable.
· New retrieval capabilities: Retrieve records as a single string, or divided into separate fields.
· Target paramater: Address multiple copies of Helix running on one machine or directly access Helix running on a remote machine.
· CallHelixVersion command: Test for code compatibility with distributed scripts.
· Integrated Error Code handler: Meaningful text messages instead of Helix's cryptic error numbers
· Demo version: Try before you buy, or distribute freely with your scripts.
· Full Helix 5.x compatibility: Take full advantage of the latest Helix Apple Events.
· Qilan Support: CallHelix 2.1 provides the underlying connection for the Qilan to Helix 6 adapter.
· You can not retrieve more than 10 records per process.
· The Demo will only work with Helix Process IDs 1 through 10. If the Helix Process ID is higher than 10, the Helix application must be relaunched to restart the Process ID count.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Compatibility with Mac OS X 10.5 (aka Leopard)