GIMP (short for GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a cross-platform image editing solution that can be used as a simple paint program, as an online batch processing system, as an expert quality photo retouching program, as a mass production image renderer, as an image format converter, etc.
GIMP is both extensible and expandable and has bee designed to be augmented with extensions and plug-ins to do just about anything you need it to.
GIMP's advanced scripting interface allows everything from the simplest procedure to the most complex image manipulation tasks to be quickly and easily scripted.
GIMP is developed under X11 on UNIX platforms but this same code will also run on Mac OS X and MS Windows powered machines.
Here are some key features of "Gimp":
· Each task requires a different environment and GIMP allows you to customize the view and behavior the way you like it. Starting from the widget theme, allowing you to change colors, widget spacings and icon sizes to custom tool sets in the toolbox. The interface is modulized into so called docks, allowing you to stack them into tabs or keep them open in their own window. Pressing the tab key will toggle them hidden.
· GIMP features a great fullscreen mode allowing you to not only preview your artwork but also do editing work while using the most of your screen estate.
· Numerous digital photo imperfections can be easily compensated for using GIMP. Fix perspective distortion caused by lens tilt simply choosing the corrective mode in the transform tools. Eliminate lens' barrel distortion and vignetting with a powerful filter but a simple interface.
· The included channel mixer gives you the flexibility and power to get your B/W photography stand out the way you need.
· GIMP is ideal for advanced photo retouching techniques. Get rid of unneeded details using the clone tool, or touch up minor details easily with the new healing tool. With the perspective clone tool, it's not difficult to clone objects with perspective in mind just as easily as with the orthogonal clone.
· GIMP includes a very unique support for various input devices out of the box. Pressure and tilt sensitive tablets, but also a wide range of USB or MIDI controllers. You can bind often-used actions to device events such as rotating a USB wheel or moving a MIDI controller's slider. Change the size, angle or opacity of a brush while you paint, bind your favorite scripts to buttons. Speed up your workflow!
· The file format support ranges from the common likes of JPEG (JFIF), GIF, PNG, TIFF to special use formats such as the multi-resolution and multi-color-depth Windows icon files. The architecture allows to extend GIMP's format capabilities with a plug-in. You can find some rare format support in the GIMP plugin registry.
· Thanks to the transparent virtual file system, it is possible to load and save files to from remote locations using protocols such as FTP, HTTP or even SMB (MS Windows shares) and SFTP/SSH.
· To save disk space, any format can be saved with an archive extension such as ZIP, GZ or BZ2 and GIMP will transparently compress the file without you needing to do any extra steps.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Move the OSX gimpdir to "~/Library/Application Support"
· Better names for the default filters in save and export
· Make tool drawing (esp. the brush outline) much more responsive
· Remember the "maximized" state across sessions
· Simplify the splash image code a lot, makes it appear immediately again
· Allow the text tool to start on an image without layers
· Various fixes for text style attribute handling
· Set unconfigured input devices to eraser if GTK+ says they are erasers
· Make language selectable in Preferences on OSX
· Make libgimp drawable combo boxes aware of layer groups
· Make sure plug-in windows appear on top on OSX
· Fix item width in GimpPageSelector (used e.g. in PDF import)
· Better default values in the Drop Shadow script
· Fix a whole bunch of bugs in the BMP plug-in
· On OSX, use the system's screenshot utility
· Add Brazilian-Portuguese translation to the Windows installer
Source and build system:
· Many improvements to the OSX bundle build syste...