Ventrilo is the next evolutionary step of Voice over IP (VoIP) group communications software. Ventrilo is also the industry standard by which all others measure them selves as they attempt to imitate it's features.
By offering surround sound positioning and special sound effects on a per user, per channel, per server or global configuration level the program provides each user the option to fully customize exactly how they wish to hear sounds from other users or events.
Ventrilo is best known for it's superior sound quality and minimal use of CPU resources so as not to interfere with day to day operations of the computer or during online game competitions.
It is also preferred for the simple user interface that any first time computer user can very quickly learn because the most commonly used features are immediately visible and can be activated with a single click of the mouse.
If voice communication isn't your cup of tea then you can always use Ventrilo as a more reliable form of IRC without the hassles or frustration of trying to teach someone how to setup a real IRC client.
Ventrilo can be used for home / personal applications like talking to friends and family, or playing organized online games where Voice Comm can make them more exciting and productive.
Here are some key features of "Ventrilo":
· Voice communication with multiple people.
· Cross channel communications.
· Phantom users for listening in on other channels.
· User-to-user private conversations.
· Individual channels that can be created dynamically.
· Sub channels.
· Muted channels.
· Queued channels.
· Channel transmit time limits.
· Channel client limits.
· Channel feature filtering.
· Password protected server login and channels.
· Advanced channel control options and filters.
· Individual admin passwords for channels.
· Text-to-speech (TTS) voice generation.
· Key binding to execute special program functions, play wave files, send TTS messages.
· Separate phonetic spelling of user and channel names for proper TTS.
· Built in chat similar to IRC.
· Users can enter dynamic comments for all other users to see.
· User assigned names for server connections. No need to remember IP numbers.
· Wave file or TTS event notifications for program events.
· Remote administration of server features and current users.
· Remote administration of persistent server properties.
· Mute Microphone and Mute Sound with key binds for both.
· User adjustable sound effects.
· Persistent mute states for specific users on a given server.
· Persistent channel admin passwords.
· Persistent special effects including surround sound for users, channels, servers, global.
· Built in server browser.
· Ability to record and playback voice streams. Great for watching demos with associated voice comms.
· Voice activation or Press-to-talk transmission modes.
· Binds to change channels or cycle through all available channels.
· Multiple platform support for servers.
· Multiple platform support for clients.
· Servers are now ready and supported on 64bit platforms.
· The clients and servers do NOT contain any Ad Ware or Spy Ware features.
· Ability to restrict server admin features. Useful for hosting services.
· Server specified codec's to control voice quality and bandwidth usage.
· User customization of display modes.
· User customization of user list icons and toolbar icons.
· Clients will soon support *NIX platforms.
· Portable cross platform server.
· Processor: 1.0 GHz or higher.
· Sound Input and Output device.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Made more changes to solve problem with spinning "Beachball".
· Fixed latent crash bug.
· Added support for Command-C to copy selected users comment to clipboard.
· Added support for Command-U to copy selected users comment URL to clipboard.
· Added support for Volume UP, DOWN and MUTE keys if not assigned by system.
· Added support for ISO Keyboard: "Section" key.
· Added support for JIS Keyboard: Yen, Underscore, Keypad Comma, Eisu and Kana keys.