Softpedia Editor's Review for GrowlVoice
A full-featured Google Voice desktop client for Mac OS X featuring custom notifications, call initiator, inbox searcher and an instant messenger
Written by Octav Fedor on October 28th, 2013
GrowlVoice is a native Mac OS X client for the popular Google Voice service. GrowlVoice adds a menu bar item which provides access to your Google Voice contacts, conversations, inbox and more.
GrowlVoice also offers audio and visual alerts on your desktop via Growl or OS X’s built-in notification system when you receive new calls and messages (multiple audio alerts can be selected from the preferences).
If you don’t wish to receive notifications, you can disable them, one by one (text, missed calls or voicemail) from the Notifications tab of the preferences. The menu bar panel can also show your favorite contacts and empowers you to search through messages or contacts. You can start phone calls, read voicemails and send text messages with just a few clicks.
Furthermore, you can login to multiple Google accounts, add labels to them and select a preferred phone from the Accounts section of the Preferences window.
The application makes Google Voice even more accessible to you by using global hotkeys. You can assign a hotkey for each of these actions: Open First Inbox Message, Compose Text, Open Inbox and Place Call. As for the aesthetic element, GrowlVoice offers two different themes for the menu bar panel: dark and white.
The application also provides flexibility in choosing which contacts you want to use: Mac’s address book or your Google Contacts. You can also chat with your buddies in a simple and beautiful interface (similar to a smartphone’s) with threaded text view.
All things considered, GrowlVoice is designed to offer a more satisfying Google Voice experience through a simple and intuitive menu bar based client and customizable notifications. GrowlVoice is designed to provide a reliable and full-featured desktop alternative to the default web application of Google Voice.
Here are some key features of "GrowlVoice":
- Compose texts and place calls in seconds
- Quickly read and reply to new text messages
- Listen to new voicemails and read their transcripts
- Return new missed calls immediately from your menubar
- Notifies you instantly of new messages, unlike other Google Voice apps that can take minutes
- Added a short welcome process to easily add an account on first launch
- Small visual interface updates
- Various Snow Leopard bugfixes
- Small visual updates to the GrowlVoice icon
- Pressing a global shortcut with the corresponding GrowlVoice window already open now properly dismisses it
- Fixed a bug caused by automatic text replacement that could cause strange characters to show up in received messages
- Fixed a bug that could cause the GrowlVoice preferences window to open when clicking a Growl notification
- Fixed a bug that caused a jarring "pop-in" of the GrowlVoice preferences window
- Fixed a bug that could cause the cursor to start in the compose text message field instead of the number field
- Various small crash fixes
- Text messages can be populated via the GrowlVoice URL scheme with the new message argument (growlvoice:123456790?text&message=message)