Apache OpenOffice is an open source and cross-platform office software suite for word processing, spreadsheets, databases, presentations, graphics, and much more. Apache OpenOffice is distributed in many languages and will work on all common computers and operating systems.
Apache OpenOffice will store your data using an international open standard format and is capable of reading and writing documents compatible with other common office software packages.
Apache OpenOffice is the result of over twenty years' of software development and it has been designed from ground up as a single piece of software, with a consistency other products cannot match.
Apache OpenOffice is very easy to learn, and, if you already use another office software package, you will be able to start using OpenOffice straight away. Also, files from any another office package will, most probably, be read by OpenOffice with no difficulty.
Best of all, the Apache OpenOffice software can be downloaded and used free of any license fees: it can be used for any purpose - domestic, educational, commercial, public administration.
You can install Apache OpenOffice on as many machines as you like and you may make copies and distribute them to as many people as you like.
Here are some key features of "Apache OpenOffice":
OpenOffice.org Writer - The powerful word processor:
· Wizards to produce standard documents such as letters, faxes, agendas, minutes.
· Styles and Formatting to put the power of style sheets into the hands of every user.
· AutoCorrect dictionary, which can check your spelling as you type.
· AutoComplete to make typing easy
· Text frames and linking for newsletters, flyers, etc..
· Table of contents, index for complex documents
· OpenDocument and MS-Word .doc format compatible
OpenOffice.org Impress - Impress your audience:
· Master Pages and Layouts simplify the task of preparing your materials.
· Complete range of Views are supported: Normall / Outlline / Slide Sorter / Notes / Handouts to meet all the needs of presenters and audiences.
· Easy-to-use drawing and diagramming tools to spice up your presentation.
· Slide show Animation and Effects to bring a presentation to life.
· Fontworks provides stunning 2D and 3D images from text.
· OpenDocument and MS-Powerpoint .ppt file format compatibility
OpenOffice.org Calc - The full-featured spreadsheet:
· Natural language formulas let you create formulas using words (e.g. "sales - costs").
· Hundreds of spreadsheet functions with built-in expert help
· Scenario Manager allows "what if ..." analysis at the touch of a button.
· Powerful graphics to extract the meaning from your numbers
· Pull in data from external databases with DataPilot technology
· OpenDocument and MS-Excel .xls file format compatibility
· X11 (only for the PPC version)
· Java 1.5 or later
· 512 MB RAM
· 400 MB available hard disk space
· 1024 x 768 graphic device with 16.7 Million colors (higher resolution recommended)
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· The Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 is a maintenance release, intended to fix critical issues and improve the overall quality of the application.
· General areas of improvement include: additional language support, bug fixes, performance improvements and Windows 8 compatibility enhancements. Further details on each of these areas are below.
· For a more comprehensive overview of the changes from the 3.3.X OpenOffice.org releases and earlier; please see the Release Notes for Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0
Additional Language Support:
· New translations available in Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 include: Finnish, British English, Khmer, Slovak, Slovenian
· Updated translations available in Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 include: Dutch, Spanish, Italian, Hungarian
· As of 2012/08/16, there were 69 verified issues that have been resolved.
· This list can be found at: http://s.apache.org/Huv
· You will need an OpenOffice Bugzilla login to view it.
· (An OpenOffice Bugzilla login will enable you to sear...