Impromptu is a Mac OS X programming environment for sound artists and composers with an interest in live or interactive programming. Impromptu is a Scheme language environment, a member of the Lisp family of languages.
Time plays a major role in the Impromptu environment allowing accurate realtime scheduling of events and code blocks. Impromptu is a dynamic environment designed specifically for the creation and manipulation of running programs in live performance.
Impromptu is a programmable AudioUnit host. A powerful environment for creating AudioUnit graphs of arbitrary complexity with precise programmatic control over individual AU nodes. Musical material can be precisely scheduled for performance by any AudioUnit instrument node.
Quartz drawing routines can be applied with the same temporal accuracy as audio material allowing composers to tightly integrate audio and visual components.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Over 150 new vDSP,vImage and veclib functions for direct data processing
· New functions for interoperating with binary data more easily and efficiently (objc:data:*).
· Movie performance has been improved and now supports all QT formats.
· iChat Theater support for remote AV performance (simply drag and drop impromptu into your ichat session for live AV streaming).
· Improved CoreImage filter support (gfx:make-filter gfx:apply-filter and gfx:set-filter-param).
· New opengl functionality (lots of things).
· New text rendering support.
· New channel mapping AU.