Free and open source audio player, converter and recorder
It also allows its users to apply various effects to these sound files, and, as an added bonus, SoX can play and record audio files on many major platforms.
SoX is a general purpose sound converter/player/recorder that supports the following formats:
· RAW sound data in various data styles
· RAW textual sound data
· Amiga 8svx files
· Apple/SGI AIFF files
· SUN .au files
· AVR files
· CD-R data (music CD format)
· CVS and VMS files (continous variable slope)
· GSM raw data (with optional library)
· Macintosh HCOM files
· Amiga MAUD files
· MP3 files (with optional external library)
· IRCAM SoundFile files
· NIST SPHERE files
· Turtle beach SampleVision files
· Soundtool (DOS) files
· Yamaha TX-16W sampler files
· Sound Blaster .VOC files
· Ogg Vorbis files (with optional external library)
· FLAC files (with optional external library)
· Dialogic/OKI ADPCM .VOX files
· Microsoft .WAV files
· Psion (PDA) Record.app files and A-law .WVE files
· Maxis XA Audio files
· Record and Play audio on various Unix platforms.
· null file type that reads and writes from/to nothing.
- Channel averaging, duplication, and removal
- Band-pass filter
- Band-reject filter
- Base tone control
- Compress and Expand (compand) the dynamic range of samples
- Chorus effect
- DCShift audio
- Deemphases filter
- Move soundstage to front of listener.
- Add an echo or sequence of echos
- Fade in or out
- Apply a flanger effect
- Apply a high-pass filter
- Apply a low-pass filter
- Apply an equalizer effect
- Add dithering/masking noise to a signal
- Multi-band Compander
- Pad with silence
- Pan sound between channels
- Apply a phaser effect
- Change the pitch of a sound file without affecting its speed.
- Repeat audio data
- Change sampling rates using several different algorithms.
- Apply a reverb effect
- Reverse sound samples (to search for Satanic messages :)
- Detect periods of silence and start and stop processing based on it
- Change the speed of samples being played (without affecting pitch)
- Display general stats on sound samples
- Stretch/shorten the duration of a sound file.
- Swap stereo channels
- Create sounds with a simple synthesizer
- Treble tone control
- Trim audio data from beginning and end of file.
- Apply a tremolo (a.k.a vibrato) effect
- Adjust volume of samples.
- Noise elimination using frequency profiling
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
What's New in This Release:
- File formats:
- Mention in man pages that WAV files support floating point encodings.
- Add support for floating point encodings in AIFF-C files. (Ulrich Klauer)
- Pad WAV data chunk to an even number of bytes (as required by the