A Texas woman going by the name of Tina King is suing Apple for $75,000/€57,000 in a personal injury / product liability lawsuit after her iPod touch reportedly blew up in her face, causing burns to one of her eyes.
The plaintiff filed a formal complaint in a court in Eastern Texas alleging that “On February 22, 2011, Tina Kings was laying in her bed with her iPod touch listening to music when Tina felt a burning sensation on her eye,” according to the court filings.
Mrs. King claims that she “received burns to her eye and was otherwise caused pain and suffering resulting in serious injury […] as a direct and proximate result of the explosion and result of the explosion and resulting electrical shock of the iPod touch.”
The woman’s hospital bill was only $600, but “the incurring medical and mental conditions which will cause her to suffer pain, mental distress, emotional distress, and otherwise for the rest of her life,” means Apple will have to shell out a little bit more to appease the affected party.
If the court sides with Mrs. King, Apple will be paying the woman a total of $75,000/€57,000 in damages, when all is said and done.